iPhone Photography Tips for Small Business
EVERY business owner has one of these smart gadgets they’re virtually tethered to …and yet most of us brick and mortar businesses could be doing so much more with these little devices every day to help out in our marketing. And guess what…these ideas won’t cost you a dime…
Special of the week/Feature Wedding of the week – Say you are a florist shop and you want to keep you clients in front of you. Do up your bouquet of the week with your feature flower, or wedding theme and take pictures of the sets…these go HOG wild on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook!
POS and In Store Displays – Fresh fruit stands have fodder galore, but you know what makes them really great? Vibrant Colour and lots of Pattern (think of how lovingly they are stacked every day). Use that to your advantage in any storefront of business window.
Coffee Shops – yes of course you are going to feature your shi-shi coffee and poached eggs on Feta and bespoke multigrain…but how about your PATRONS! Get them to check in with a review and photo on Google+, or YELP and give them their next coffee ON THE HOUSE and feature THEM on your favourite Social media…everyone deserves their 15 minutes!
Shoe/Podiatrists Shop – Engage a sporty “customer of the month’ and have her try on several different shoes. (GIve them a loss leader freebie as a thank you). You could also do a great little flat lay every week with a new outfit and pairing.
Tax Store/Accountant – So not sexy – I know, I know…BUT…Feature your clients with a big return on your Facebook page. You won’t need to coax them to have their picture taken when you save them money this year.
Book Store – Featured books of the month are obviously the low hanging fruit but why not try a Kids Reading Corner – ask THEM to suggest a book! (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr)
Clothing – Flat lays are hot! Try doing one up on the counter or bench – pair up your feature or specials with all the accessories…or better yet get the customers to try them on and model!(Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest)
Hairdressers/Make-Up Artists – THIS business is the CREME de la CREME for Before & After Marketing. The key here is for images to be similar to each other in angle, distance and lighting. Toss those into a collage APP and that’s an INSTANT seller!
Best practices for Social Media.
Now in order to get the best out of your pictures – here are a few ideas on how to engage your customers at the right time and place with your social media postings…
- Try and post every day on Instagram and Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler, Pinterest (wherever your clients are). At the very LEAST once a week.
- Run monthly contests for engagement.
- Offer freebies for check-ins and reviews.
- Spend a few moments on the image using some great APPs with filters(most social media have them built in now)
- Post at the top of the hour, just before work, lunch hour (12:30-1:00)
Try a few of these APPS on your smartphone for fun…
And a few more thoughts about your images:
- Make sure the image is in focus.
- Make sure the image doesnt have too much clutter around it or too busy
- Use lots of colour and pattern
- Use the square orientation if you are planning on Instagram, so its properly framed right in camera
- Try and get an even consistent light from side to side.
- Watch out for the overhead lighting…and it’s EVIL shadows!
Enjoy your creative time, use these iphone photography tips, and when you’re ready to get some incredible business images for your business – call HeadHunters Photography!